Saturday, April 5, 2008

the worst thing

K,

Dear Allyn,

By this time, should have heard that you have been accepted
in Temple University's Graduate Creative Writing Program, for
the two-year MA Degree in English with a focus on Creative
Writing. It's an exciting program. Some students have
actually visited the University, sat in on a creative writing
workshop, and have seen the level at which we pursue the
criticism of our fellow students' work.

I regret to inform you that we cannot offer you financial aid
for the academic year 2008-2009. We ask that you look into
other modes of financing your Degree at Temple--bank loans,
savings, family help.

The deadline for acceptance with at least a phone call our
secretary, Sharon Logan (215) 204-1796) is Thursday, April
10th. Those who have not notified us by Friday, April 11th,
at four o'clock pm, we will assume have declined to come.
Please notify us as to your decision as promptly as possible,
earlier rather than later--because of our waiting lists.

We look forward to seeing you the end of August, when we have
finalized the date for our Orientation Session.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at
summer's end.

Best wishes,
Chip Delany, Director,
Graduate Creative Writing Program,
Temple University

So now all that's left is to decide what I want to do with my life instead of be a poet.

I think I'm too old to change what I want to be when I grow up.

I guess I never thought wondering how to survive month to month would be a permanent thing.

I wish I could feel some other way about this than broken.

-Bito

No comments: