Monday, October 5, 2009

the long and winding road

K,

I'm so glad you posted even though I didn't! Truth be told, I didn't even think to check the blog until last night - I've had a pretty crazy hectic week. Last Sunday morning after my last overnight shift - around 4:30am - I crashed the crap out of my car hydroplaning on the Turnpike. The road was really wet and I was going too fast...I was driving in the right lane and I felt the wheel catch and suddenly I was spinning out. I spun around backwards, hit the concrete center barrier and slid backwards along it, sparks flying for about 1/4 mile.

I'm totally fine - although my neck did hurt for a few days from the whiplash - but there was that moment where I was seeing the sparks and headlights coming at me and hearing the grinding of my steel rims on the concrete when I was just thinking, Am I gonna die? I guess I could be about to die...

Needless to say I was happy not to have died. Still, it sucked sitting in my car in the rain for 2 hours waiting for the state police and a tow truck - which by the way I had to pay $150 for because PA doesn't let AAA help people on the toll road.

Anyway, the rest of the week was made crazy by a) dealing with the fallout from crashing the car and b) starting my Canadian Traffic Editor position at work. It's funny that we were kind of making our work transitions at the same time! Also, I'm so happy for you that your work days are getting back to normal. 10-11 hour days?!? Nuh-uh, child, you KNOW I would not be caught dead working that long! Actually, I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible for me anyway, LOL.

So then Monday sucked, because I woke up around 10:30 to a missed call from work because apparently my boss was expecting me in 9-5 (instead of 1-9 which is my normal shift) plus I had to wait for my dad to get home from his half day so I could use his car. And then of course I talked to the mechanic, who basically said that if I wanted to keep using my car without repairing the body damage (which would have cost way more than what the car was worth) that the back door and trunk would be useless.

Arggh. I'm so glad that week is over, I don't even want to talk about it! Suffice it to say, between driving to and from work in rush hour traffic, adjusting to a daytime schedule - as opposed to my usual afternoon/overnight schedule - and planning to buy a new car, I was pretty stressed.

On the plus side, this is my new car!!

Pretty sweet, right? She's so preeeetty. I still haven't decided what to name her. Also on the plus side, since my full-time job came with an unexpected PAY RAISE (from $13/hr to $16.83/hr) I will actually be able to afford the payments without killing myself, LOL.

That's pretty much how I spent the last week - unless you count complaining about my new job. One of the Canadian cities we'll be covering is Montreal. Even though during the interview my boss informed me that we would be able to get all of the information for Montreal in English (in spite of the fact that the primary language is French), it turns out that was just a lie, LOL. I've spent most of my prep time here trying to figure out ways to prepare English-speaking editors to speak to police dispatchers over the phone in French (HA!) and read construction reports that are written all in French.

For the speaking part, I think it may be an insurmountable task since we'll have to be able to UNDERSTAND what the dispatchers are saying, not just read our questions from a script...but in the meantime it LOOKS like I'm doing a lot of work preparing the language resources, so maybe I'll get another raise next performance review! Haha.

As you can see, not much personal life news. The diet and exercise kind of got abandoned this week, due to neck aching, business and an abundance of house guests. First my cousins last weekend, a cast party for my Mom and Alex's play yesterday, and now there are repairmen taking over my room all week to repair water damage from an AC issue we had earlier in the summer. Next weekend I'm going to be THRILLED to have no more strangers running around my house!

Hung out with Matt and Deb (a couple of my bro's friends) a few times. They're cool people, funny, smart, political and LOVE chilling out with mota as often as possible, LOL. Also Deb is one hell of a shoplifter. Me and Ste drove up with them Friday night to see the play, and hung out afterward getting crunk and talking shit.

My favorite pastimes! Haha.

In other entertainment news, I am OBSESSED with "Glee" this new musical sit com that just started a few weeks ago. I might never have watched it, but Tom and Lorenzo, these two gay Project Runway/fashion bloggers I heart, reviewed it here and I'm so glad they did. I am such a fag! I love the biting dialogue, the absolutely kick-ass musical numbers (seriously) and also, not gonna lie, I'm kind of in love with Lea Michele (the super-Jewish female lead; duh.) LOL. So I know you're not a big TV watcher, but if you're interested (knowing you, interested to check out the hot girl! :P) you can watch the first five episodes on Hulu. Oh, I also watched the movie "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" and it basically made my life.

Have I bored you long enough yet? LOL. I promise to post more often now that hell week is over (fingers crossed) and I do want to talk more about your last posts, but this one is starting to get super-long and rambly, so I will post again soon.

Gah! I miss you. We need to have one of our hours-long philosophical discussions/story times ASAP. Until then,

-Don Bito

No comments: